Legend has that it was founded by two sons of Lord Rama about 4000 years ago. Historically it has been proved that Lahore is about 2000 years old. Hieun-tsang, the famous Chinese pilgrim, has given a vivid description of Lahore city which he visited in the early parts of the seventh century A.D.
For 200 years, beginning from about 1525 A.D., Lahore was a thriving cultural center of the great Mughal Empire. Mughal Emperors beautified Lahore with palaces, gardens and mosques. During the British regime many monuments sprang up in Lahore which blended beautifully with the Mughal, Gothic and Victorian styles of architecture.
Lahore is the second largest city in Pakistan and provincial capital of Punjab. Apart from being the cultural and academic center of the country, Lahore is the Mughal "show-window" of Pakistan. The origins of Lahore are shrouded in the mists of antiquity. Reminiscence of its hoary past are the remains of a subterranean temple in the northern part of the Royal fort, attributed to Lord Rama, the legendry hero of Ramayana. Lying on the main trade and invasion routes to the sub-continent, Lahore has been ruled and plundered by a number of dynasties and heroes. However it touched the zenith of its glory during the rule of Mughals. The Mughals, who were famous as builders, gave Lahore some of its finest architectural monuments that are extinct today.
Lahore is linked with the rest of the country by air, rail and road. It lies on the Grand Trunk Road or the Shahrah-e-Aazam, which connected Kabul with Calcutta. The road was originally built by the Afghan ruler Sher Shah Suri in the 16th century. The Mughals also used this road as means of communications. One can cross over to India at Wahga, which is about 24kms east of Lahore.
PLACES OF INTEREST:
The most important historical monuments of the Mughals in Lahore are the Royal Fort, the Badshahi mosque, the Tombs of Emperor Jehangir, Empress noor Jehan, Anarkali and Asif-Jah and the famous Shalimar garden.
ROYAL FORT LAHORE:
Although most parts of the Royal Fort were constructed around 1566 A.D. by the Mughal Emperor, Akbar the great, there is evidence that a mud fort was in existence here in 1021 A.D. as well, when mahmood of Ghazna invaded this area. Akbar demolished the old mud fort and constructed most of the modern Fort, as we see it today, on the old foundations. Construction of the fort dates back to the early Hindu period.
The Royal Fort is rectangular. The main gates are located alongside the center of the western and eastern walls. Every succeeding Mughal Emperor as well as the Sikhs, and the British in their tom, added a pavilion, palace or all to the Fort. Emperor Jehangir extended the gardens and constructed the palaces that we see today in the Jehangir's Quadrangle, while Shah-Jehan added Diwan-e-Khas, Moti Masjid (Pearl Mosque) and his own sleeping Chambers.Aurangzeb built the impressive main gate which faces the Hazoori Bagh lying in between the Badshahi Mosque and the Fort. The famous Sheesh Mahal or palace of mirrors, is in the north-east corner of the Fort. This is the most beautiful palace in the Fort and is decorated with small mirrors of different colors set.
The part of the wall of the Elephant Steps towards the Fort's inner gate are scarred by bullet marks, bearing testimony to the Sikh Civil War of 1847 A.D.
A party of Sikhs had mounted their guns on one of the minarets of the mosque across the courtyard from where they fired on their opponents. The Sleeping Chamber of Mai Jindan houses a very interesting museum with relics from Mughal and the Sikh periods.
Three miles east of Lahore are the famous Shalimar Gardens laid out by the Mughal EperorShah-Jehan in 1642 A.D. The Gardens are spread out in typical Mughal style and are surrounded by high walls with watch-towers at the four corners. Originally, the gardens were spread over seven ascending terraces, but only three remain now which cover an area of about 42 acres. The brick-work of the floors of the three terraces have been repaired according to their original designs which differ on all three terraces. There is a marble pavilion under which water flows and cascades down over a carved, marble slab creating a water-fall effect. Across the water-fall is a marble throne. At the end of the second terrace is a beautiful structure called Sawan Bhadon, a sunken tank niches on its three sides. Water cascades down from it in sheets in front of the niches, producing the sound of falling rain. In the olden times, small oil lamps were placed in the niches which reflected myriad colors, through the water. Similar gardens have the proud privilege of being the stage of all important state receptions.
Minar-ePakistan is a new landmark in Lahore and stands in the Iqbal Park to commemorate the date when a resolution was passed there back in 1940 demanding the creation of a separate homeland for the Muslims of this sub-continent. The Minar is a blend of Mughal and modern architecture and has been very boldly designed. The Minar is about 60 meters tall.
Kim's Gun or Zamzama:
Immortalized by Rudyard Kipping in his accounts is this famous gun now popularly known as the Kim's Gum. It is placed just outside the museum on the Sharah-e-Quaid-e-Azam in front of the campus.
Wazir Khan's Mosque:
In the old part of the town and off the Kashmiri Bazaar, reputedly the most beautiful Mosque in the sub-continent is situated. The Mosque was built in 1683 A.D. by Hakim Ilmuddin who was Minister to Shah-Jehan and was generally known as Wazir Khan. It is a marvelous specimen of tile work and arabesque paintings.
emperor or the Badshahi Mosque is across the courtyard from Alamgiri Gate
of the Lahore Fort. The Mosque which is made up entirely of sand-stone
was built by Emperor Aurangzeb, the last of the great Mughals, in a record
time of the two and-a-half years. Its construction was completed by 1674
A.D. It has a beautiful gate-way which measures 21.33 meters in length
and a courtyard that measures 161.5 x 160.6 meters and is said to be the
largest mosque courtyard in the world for outdoor prayers.
The Golden Mosqeu:
Golden Mosque is also situated in the Kashmiri Bazaar. It was built in 1753 A.D.by Nawab Syed Bhikari Khan, who was Deputy Governor of Lahore.It is a remarkably beautiful mosque with three golden domes.
Samadhi of Maharaja Ranjeet Singh:
ashes of the great Sikh ruler of Punjab, Maharaja Ranjeet Singh, and of
his four wives and several slave girls lie in a dome adjacent to the Hazoori
Shrine of Data Sahib:
Close to the junction of the Lower Mall and the Circular Road is the shrine of Data Sahib was a great sufi saint whose well known work, "Kashf-ul-Mahjub" has been translated from the original Persian into several European languages and is considered a classic. Attached to the Shrine is a beautiful mosque.
Allama Iqbal's Tob:
Outside the Badshahi mosque, near its steps, lies the tomb of Allama Iqbal, the poet-philosopher of the East. The mausoleum is a mixture of Afghan and Moorish style of architecture and is constructed entirely of red sandstone which was quarried and brought from Rajasthan.
Mausoleum of Emperor Jehangir:
The tomb of the fourth great Mughal Emperor, Jehangir, lies three miles north-west of Lahore across the river Ravi. It has a majestic structure made of red sand-stone and marble. The outer entrance to the tomb opens out into a court-yard which was used as a caravan serai during Mughal times. An etrance to the right leads into a Mughal garden with exact geometrical patterns balancing each side. The marble tomb is approached from four corridors leading from the garden. three of these corridors are closed by intricate marble screens. The marble grave is elaborately inlaid with floral designs and the 99 Attributes of God are inscribed on its two sides. On the top is a verse from the Holy Quran. The tomb was built by Queen Noor Jehan and the Emperor's son Shah-Jehan, around 1637 A.D.
Qutbuddin Aibak's Tomb:
He was appointed Governor of India in 1191 A.D. by Muhammad Ghauri. He established the slave Dynasty on the death of Muhammad Ghauri in 1206 when he assumed independence of his reign and was followed by nine other slave kings. He was a patron of the building art and is known to have erected some monumental stone building in Delhi and elsewhere. A very avid player of polo, he died in Lahore in 1210 A.D. While playing the game. His tomb can be visited in Anarkali Bazaar.
Asif Khan's Mausoleum:
In the courtyard near Jehangir tomb lies buried his brother-in-law, Asif Khan, father of Shah Jehan's beloved Queen Arjumand Bano. He lies in a tomb which today shows little of its former splendor.
Nur Jehan's Tomb:
The Empress Nur Jehan, "Light of the world" was the only Empress whose name appeared on the coins of the Mughal empire. She was buried in 1645 A.D. at Shahdara (Lahore) outside Jehangir's mausoleum across the railway line.
Her tomb once had a marble cenotaph which she had built herself during her life time. After the decline of Mughal rule, the tomb suffered extensive damages along with her husband's tomb at the hands of Sikh marauders when they gained power during the early part of nineteenth century. Both were stripped of most of its original beauty and splendor. All treasure and tiles, it is said, were carted off to decorate the Golden Temple at Amrita India.
The tomb of Nadira Begum alias Anarkali, is situated in a corner of the Civil Secretariat of Punjab Governent at Lahore.
The tomb is circular in shape and rooted with a vast and lofty dome supported from inside by eight massive arches 12 feet 3 inches thick. It is a masterpiece of solid masonry work early Mughal period and is neatly and beautifully fitted up.
Opposite the old University Hall, a Mughal style building on the Shahrah-e-Quaid-e-Azam, houses the Lahore museum. The museum contains some fine specimens of Mughal and Sikh door-way and wood-work and has a big collection of paintings dating back to Indo-Pakistan, Mughal, Sikh and British times. It has also a collection of musical instruments, ancient jewellery, textile, poetry and armory. There are relics from the Graeco-Pactrian times as well as some Tibetan and Nepalese exhibits.
A very large and interesting private Museum known as Faqirkhana lies inside the Bhati Gate and is worth visiting. The museum houses a variety of old paintings, including some by great masters, original manuscripts in different languages and artifacts from South East Asia and the Indo-Pak sub-continent.
Anarkali bazaar is the most fascinating of the city's many bazaars. The alleys and lanes of this bazaar are full of exciting wares, especially traditional crafts like leather ware, embroidered garments glass bangles, beaten gold and silver jewellery, creations in silk. Any thing that you wish for a bargain.
Hiran Minar is set in peaceful evirons near Lahore. It was constructed by Emperor Jehangir as a monument to Hansraj, one of his pet antelopes. It is a popular picnic resort with a lake and boating facilities.
Chhanga Manga is a man-made forest 68 kms from Lahore. There is a lake, and a miniature railway which winds its way through its forest. Chhanga Manga has 12,510 acres of plantations. It is a popular picnic spot spread over 50 acres with a lake and row boats, motor boats, children's park, swimming pool, cafeteria, canteen and rest houses.
The archaeological site of Harappa is 204 kms south of Lahore. The town flourished at the time when the Indus valley Civilization was at its zenith, about 4,500 years ago.
The Park is 28 kms from Lahore. It can be visited by road and by rail. A rail-car leaves for Jallo Railway Station every half hour. Spread over an area of 450 acres, it has expanses of lawns, a forest research center, a children's park, zoo, a small museum and a gift ship.
There are four famous parks in Lahore namely
Race Course Park, Gulberg Road
Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, Allama Iqbal Town
Model Town Park, Model Town
Nawaz Sharif Park, Ferozepur Road
This check post is about 30 kms from Lahore and is the cross-over point for travelers into India by the land route. It is open daily to foreigners only (except Indian and Pakistani nationals) from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. PST.
above couple let by a Persian poet describes the primordial environment of the
historic city of Multan. But that has changed now and not only the city of
Multan but the district itself has been transformed into a green, fertile area.
It is fact becoming an industrial town. The city has its own charm, culture and
crafts. The origin of the name ‘Multan’ is obscure and so is the period of
its founding. It has been Mulosan pulu by Hiuen Tsang and Alberuni called it
Multana, which ultimately came to be called Multan.
About 327 B.C. the Macedonians were ousted by Chandragupta and the Maurya
dynasty remained in power till the beginning of the second century A.D. From 30
B.C to 470 A.D., the Kushan dynasty ruled over the area, and from 470 A.D to 550
A.D., the White Huns are believed to have held sway.
Multan figured as the capital of an important province of the kingdom of
Sindh in the writings of the early Arab geographers. At the time the Arabs first
came to Sindh, the country was ruled by Raja Chach, a Brahmin. Multan was
conquered by Arabs under Muhammad Bin Qasim in 712 A.D . After
defeating Raja Dahir, a descendant of Chach.
Thereafter, the town remained for the three centuries the out post of
Islam in India, under the caliph of Baghdad. It remained nominally subject to
the Lodhies, Ghaznavids and Muhammad Ghauri upto the end of 12th
century. From the beginning of the 13th century for the next three
centuries , the history of Multan is practically the history of
the incursions from western and central Asia.
In 1397 came the invasion by Taimur, whose troops occupied Uch
and Multan, sacked Tulamba, raided the Kohkhars of Ravi and past across Biass to
Pakpattan and Delhi. In 1528, comes the peace full transfer of the province of
Multan to the emissaries of the Mughal Emperor Babar. Under the Mughal Emperors,
Multan enjoyed a long period of peace between 1528-1748 and was known as Dar-ul-Aman.
In 1752 Multan became a province owing allegiance to Afghan kings. It was
then ruled by Pathan governors and Daud Putra chiefs of Bahawlpur for some time.
After 1771, Multan witnessed continued warfare between Sikhs and the Nawabs of
Multan. Between 1818 and 1845, it remained under the Sikh rule and finally came
under the British rule in 1849.
city has the distinction of being the birthplace of three distinguished man in
history Muhammad Tughlaq is said to have been born in 13th century in
a hamlet and the place, which is known as “ Kotla Toleh Khan “. Emperor
Bahlole Lodhi was born in Qazian Wala Makan near Hussain Agahi. Ahmed Shah
Abdali, the first Durrani sovereign of Afghanistan , was also born at Multan in
The city of Multan is bound on the north by the depression lying between
it and the front and on all other sides by a brick wall. It has six gates i.e.
Lohari gate, Pak gate, Bohar gate, Delhi gate, Haram gate and Daulat gate.
The old city has narrow colorful bazaars full of local handicrafts and
narrow winding lanes. There are many places of historical, cultural and
recreational interest in the city.
Fort was built on a mound separating it room the city by old bed of river Ravi.
Its date cannot be fixed with accuracy. When intact, its circumference was 6,600
ft. having 46 bastions, including two towers at each of the four gates i.e.,
Delhi gate, Khizri gate, Sikhi gate and Rehri gate. The fort was ravaged by the
British to avenge the murder of one Mr. Agnew in 1948. At present it is survived
by some parts of the old rampart and bastions besides the shrines of Hazrat
Bahauddin Zakaria and Shah Rukne-e-Alam, an obelisk in memory of Agnew and a
Hindu temple. The famous Qasim Bagh and a stadium are located within the walls
of the fort. A panoramic view of Multan city can be had from the highest point
in the fort.
devastation of Khorasan and Western Iran was to the benefit of this part of
Pakistan, for it led to the setting in this city of a large Gardezi Syeds and
Qureshis from Khwarizm, amongst whom Shiekh Bahauddin Zakaria is a famous saint.
About the same time Pir Shams Sabzawari from Sabzwar and Kazi Qutubuddin from
Kashan came to Multan. Baba Farid Shakar Ganj was born in a village of Multan ,
and settled in Pakpattan.
Qutubuddin Bakhtiar Kaki passed through Multan to Delhi and Syed Jalal, the
spiritual leader of many families in Multan, Muzaffargarh and Bahawalpur came to
Sikhi Sarwar’s father also emigrated form Bukhara to Sarwar Shah Kot in Multan
district. These venerable men contributed greatly to spreading Islam in this
area. The saints and shrines of Multan have been attracting a large number of
devotees all year round.
One of the foremost scholars of Islam, Sheikh Baha-ud-din Zakaria’s
shrine is located in the fort. He was born
in 1170 A.D., studied in Turan and Iran and received instructions from Sheikh
Shahab-ud-din Suharwardi at Baghdad. His mausoleum was built by the saint
himself. It was a unique style of architecture of that period, a only other
being at Sonepat in India. It also houses the graves of
most of the eminent members of the Qureshi family, including that of
Nawab Muzaffar Khan.
The mausoleum of Shah Rukn-e –Alam, the grand son of Sheikh Bahauddin
Zakaria, this also located near the main gate of the Multan fort. He was also a
man of great religious and political influence during the Tughlaq region and was
in Multan when it was visited by Ibn-e-Batuta. The Mausoleum was originally
built by emperor Ghias-ud-din Tughlaq but was given up by his son Muhammad
Tughlaq in favor of Shah Rukn-e-Alam . Besides its religious importance, the
mausoleum has a unique architectural value. Its dome is considered to be the
second largest in the world. The mausoleum has recently being given the Agha
Khan award for the best Muslim architecture. Some of the interesting statistics
of its architecture are:
Total height of the road level is 150ft
Total height of building is 100ft
Octagonal upper structure diameter is 26ft
Octagonal lower structure diameter is 52ft
The dome on top has a diameter of 58ft
mausoleum has very rich geometric pattern, calligraphy and colorful floral,
mosaic and glaze tile work. The shrine is visited by devotees all year around.
shrine of Hazrat Shams Sabzwari is located near Aam-khas garden. A descended of
Imam Jaffar, he was born in 1165 A.D., the saint died in 1276 A.D., and is
shrine was built by his grand son in 1330 A.D.
shrines in Multan include those of Mohammad Yousaf Gardezi near Bohar Gate, Musa
Pak Shaheed inside the Pak Gate, Totla Mai Haram Gate, Shah Ali Akbar, a
descendant of Shah Shams Sabzwari, in Suraj Miani and Baba Safra near Eidgah.
Mosques of Multan
famous mosques of Multan are Wali Mohammad Mosque in Chowk Bazar built by Ali
Mohammad Khakwani in 1758 A.D., Mosque Phulhatt in Chowk Bazar built by Emperor
Farrukh Siyar, Baqarabadi Mosque built by Baqar Khan in 1720 A.D. and the
beautiful Eidgah Mosque built by Nawab Abdul Samad Khan in 1735 A.D.
has some beautiful modern buildings such as Nishtar Medical College, University
Campus, Arts Council building with and auditorium, Multan Railway Station
building the famous Clock Tower building of the Multan Municipal Corporation and
State Bank of Pakistan etc.
There are places of recreation in Multan such as the Stadium, the Lake
Chaman zar-e-Askari and Company Bagh in the Multan Fort, Lange Khan Garden,
Aam-Khas Garden and the parks at Bohar Gate, Chowk Shaheedan, Tabbi Sher Khan
and the Nawan Shaher in and around Multan.
Fairs and Meals
RAWALPINDI / ISLAMABAD
The twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad lie against the backdrop of Margalla Hills on the Potohar plateau. On the basis of archaeological discoveries, archaeologists believe that a distinct culture flourished on this plateau as far back as 3,000 years.
The material remains found on the site of the city of Rawalpindi prove the existance of a Buddhist establishment contemporary to Taxila but less celebrated than its neighbour. It appears that the ancient city went into oblivion as a result of the Hun devastation. The first Muslim invader, Mahmood of Ghazni (979 - 1030 AD), gifted the ruined city to a Gakkhar Chief, Kai Gohar. The town, however, being on invaders' route, could not prosper and remained deserted until Jhanda Khan, another Gakkhar Chief, restored and gave the name of Rawalpindi after the village Rawal in 1493 AD. Rawalpindi remained under the rule of Gakkhars till Muqarrab Khan, the last Gakkhar ruler, was defeeated by Sikhs in 1765 AD. Sikhs invited traders from other places to settle here. This brought the city into prominence. Sikhs lost the city to British in 1849 AD. It then become the General Headquarters of British Army and they established a cantonment south of the old city. In 1879, the Punjab Northern Railway was extended to Rawalpindi but the train service was formally inaugurated on January 01, 1886.
Over the years, Rawalpindi has retained its traditional flavor. However, some modern residential areas and buildings have come up all over the town since the creation of Pakistan. Pakistan's new capital, Islamabad being the twin city of Rawalpindi, equally shares the same archaeological and historical background.
Rawalpindi specializes in handicrafts such as inlaid sheesham and walnut furniture, Kashmiri shawls and jackets, embroidered and woolen 'Kurtas' and household linen, Potohar Jooties and Chappals (slippers), cane baskets and furniture, walking sticks and hand-woven Kashmiri and Bokhara carpets. You can go shopping for these items at handicraft and carpet shops in Saddar bazeer, especially around Flashman's Hotel and Rawalpindi Club building on the Mall.
Memorial Hall and Garden
Public Park and Cricket Stadium
founder of the state of Bahawalpur was Nawab Bahawal Khan Abbasi I. The abbasi
family ruled over the state more than 200 years (1748 to 1954). During the rule
of the last Nawab Sir Sadiq Khan Abbasi V, Bahawalpur State was merged with
Pakistan in 1954. Bahawalpur was formerly the capital of the state and now is
the District Divisional Headquarters of Bahawalpur division. It is an important
marketing center for surrounding areas and is located on the crossroads between
Peshawar, Lahore, Quetta and Karachi. Saraiki is the local language of the area.
Urdu, Punjabi and English are also spoken and understood by most of the people.
What to see
Library: It is housed in a building having fine architectural value. The
foundation stone of this building was laid by the then governor and viceroy of
India Sir Rufus Danial Issacs on 8 March, 1924 to mark the installation of late
Nawab of Bahawalpur Sir Sadiq Mohammad Khan Abbasi V. The central library was
established in 1947 in this building. It has a vast collection of books and rare
manuscripts. It is one of the best libraries in Pakistan and visited by students
and scholars from within the country and abroad.
has a modest museum with a fine collection of coins, medals, postage stamps of
former state of Bahawalpur, manuscripts, documents, inscriptions, wood carvings,
camel skin paintings, historical models and stone carvings etc. of Islamic and
pre-Islamic period. There is a complete set of models of all classes issued by
the ex state to its military officers civilians and to other important citizens
of the ex state.
zoological garden of Bahawalpur is considered to be one of the best in the
country. Spread over an area of 25acres of land, it has an interesting
collection of 120 animals and 750 birds of tropical areas, particularly those
found in this region. The zoo has the distinction of occasional breeding of
lions and supply of beasts to other zoos in the country. It also has a aquarium
and zoological museum with stuffed rare birds and animals.
has one of the finest stadiums in the country having fine cricket grounds, two
football grounds one basket ball court
and lawn tennis courts and covered swimming pool. There is also a hockey
stadium, which is considered to be the second best in the country after Karachi
Stadium. It can accommodate 13000 people at a time.
Shrine of Muluk Shah
shrine of Muluk Shah, a popular saint of his time, is located in the city and
visited by devotees on every Thursday ashura and Eid days. A small fair is also
Jamia Masjid Al Sadiq
was made by the Nawab Sadiq Mohammad Khan Abbasi V at the elevation of more than
12ft from earth. It can house 50,000 to 60,000 people at a time, during the Eid
festivals. It is well-reputed mosque in Pakistan like other prominent mosques of
75 km from Bahawalpur, is a very old town, it is believed that it existed even
in 500 B.C. Some historians believe that Uch was there even before the advent of
Bikramajit when Jains and Bhudhists ruled over sub continent. At the time of the
invasion by Alexander the Great, Uch was under Hindu rule. Some historians say
that Alexander came to Uch after conquering northern parts of India and spent
over a fortnight in the city and renamed it Alexandariya. Some have mentioned
Uch by the name of Sikandara or Iskalanda. They have decided it as the most
flourishing and beautiful town perched upon the Plateau near the confluence of
the Chanab and Rave rivers. Famous shrines existing at Uch include those of
Hazrat Bahawal Haleem, Hazrat Jalal-ud-din Surkh Bokhari, Makhdoom Jahanian
Jahangasht, Bibi Jawindi and Sheikh Saif-ud-din Ghazrooni etc.
Uch is a small town today and divided into three different quarters known as (i)Uch Bokhari, after Hazrat Syed Jalal-ud-din Bokhari Surkhposh, (ii) Uch Jilani (Bandagi), who came from Halab in 887A.H., and (iii) Uch Mughlan after the Mughal rulers.
Makhdoom Sahib of Uch Bokhari has some rare Islamic relics in his
possession for example, (i) Turban of Holy Prophet (PBUH), (ii) a mantle of the
“Samsam” (sword) of Hazrat Imam Hasan, (iv) a cap and turbine of Hazrat
Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jilani of Baghdad and (v) mantle of Hazrat Salman Farsi.
Cholistan, a well-known desert - 30 kms from Bahawalpur, covers an area of 16,000 sq. kms and extending up to the Terar desert which spreads across into India. Cholistan is derived from the word "Chalna" which means moving but locally the area is known as "Rohi".
Sialkot is located 130 kms north-east of Lahore, and is linked by road and train with the whole country. It is internationally known for its manufacture of sports goods and surgical instruments.
A 140 kms west of Lahore is Faisalabad. It is known as the Manchester of Pakistan because it is famous for its textile industry. The focal point of this cit is Ghanta Ghar Bazaar which connects eight bazaars. Faisalabad is connected with the rest of the country by air, road and rail.
Gujranwala is situated about 65 kms to the north of Lahore. This city has developed a wide range of industries that manufacture such products as fans, washing machines, stainless steel items, room coolers, heaters, etc. Being located on the historic Grand Trunk Road and on the main railway line, it is well connected with the rest of the country.
is situated about 160 kms to the west of Lahore. It is famous for its wood
work - items such as furniture's, decoration pieces and wood-made bodies
of trucks, buses and wagons. It is linked with the rest of the country
by road and by rail.